"Navigating the Tides of Adolescence" is a panel discussion on the challenges facing our teens today, including stress, pressures of social media, mental health, and wellness. Panelists include keynote speaker Julie Lythcott-Haims, author of the acclaimed book, "How to Raise an Adult" and former freshman dean at Stanford University; Dr. Steven Adelsheim, Stanford child psychiatrist and Director of Community Partnerships at the Stanford School of Medicine; Dr. Yalda T. Uhls, a media expert for Common Sense Media and author of the upcoming book, "Media Moms & Digital Dads," and Gunn High School parent Kathleen Blanchard. The panel will be moderated by Rachael Myrow from KQED.
Discussion topics include:
- Components that contribute to a teen's autonomy and decision making
- Social stigma; suicide prevention; academic stress
- Impact and management of social media and peer pressure
- Strategies to promote a balanced, attainable lifestyle
- Current research and implications for practice
- Local resources for education, prevention, intervention, and crisis response
There will be a Q&A following the panel discussion. Please send in questions to: email@example.com.
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. (check-in begins at 6:45 p.m.)
Location: Harman Auditorium, Sacred Heart Prep, 150 Valparaiso Ave., Atherton