April 8, 2016
The Cabrillo Education Foundation (CEF) announces today that its board of directors voted to approve a total of $175,522 in grants for the Cabrillo Unified School District’s (CUSD) 2016–2017 school year.
CEF is making Big Impacts by building the pathway for all students to be successful and develop critical thinking skills beginning in preschool and throughout their college and career.
- CEF is a Co-lead of the Big Lift with CUSD and the Coastside Children’s Program. We have partnered with the Silicon Valley Community Foundation and the White House’s national Social Innovation Fund to bring millions of dollars into our Half Moon Bay community to address pre-K literacy. This is critical as only 55% of our students can read proficiently by the end of third grade.
- Building upon Pre-K literacy efforts, CEF is funding K–3 programs so that 80% of our students will be reading proficiently by the end of third grade. Programs include the Reader’s Workshop that provides high quality professional development for our teachers through Columbia University’s Teacher’s College Reading and Writing Program.
- In addition CEF is building upon its investment in teacher development through providing “targeted” reading materials across the K–5 grade level range as part of the classrooms’ libraries.
Reader’s Workshop $57,600
Informational Literacy $22,400
College and Career Readiness:
- CEF is partnering with CUSD to expand the national award winning AVID curriculum for College and Career Readiness courses in both the middle and high schools. For the first time, AVID will be a 6th–12th grade program so that all our students develop the critical thinking and organizational skills to be prepared for and successful in college.
- CEF is also funding Computer science classes and science teacher collaboration time for elementary through high school.
AVID 6th and 12th Grades $25,000
Computer Science $48,000
Science Teacher Collaboration $6,522
CEF is seeking to inspire new innovations and providing sixteen $1000 grants, eleven for CUSD Faculty and five for student/faculty sponsored innovations.
Faculty/Student Innovation Grants $16,000
Total CEF GRANTS 2016–2017 $175,522
For any questions please contact Keith Cernak, CEF Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-286-7811.
To read the full release, please click here.