REDWOOD CITY, CA - May 16, 2017 - The San Mateo County School Boards Association (SMCSBA), representing 22 school districts, the San Mateo Community College District, and the San Mateo County Office of Education, today announced the 2017 recipients of the J. Russell Kent Awards.
The awards are given to outstanding and innovative programs throughout the county. Applicants must demonstrate that their programs promote student success, employ a high degree of creativity, and demonstrate transferability. Named after past San Mateo County Superintendent of Schools, J. Russell Kent, SMCSBA initiated the program in the 1980-81 school year.
This year’s honorees include programs that focus on literacy and reading, computer science, environmental sustainability, equity and access, and engagement. The 2017 Kent Award recipients include:
- Articulation and Transition - Menlo-Atherton High (Sequoia Union HSD)
- Computer Science Week - Buri Buri Elementary (South San Francisco USD)
- Coyote Society - Pilarcitos High (Cabrillo USD)
- Dream Club - Sequoia High (Sequoia Union HSD)
- Family Engagement - Creating a Bridge Between Home and School (San Mateo Union HSD)
- Gardening for Tomorrow - Skyline Elementary (South San Francisco USD)
- Hatch Student Leadership Club - Alvin S. Hatch Elementary (Cabrillo USD)
- K-3 Foundational Skills Practices - Garfield Elementary (Redwood City SD)
- L.E.A.P. - Heather Elementary (San Carlos SD)
- Middle School Social and Emotional Learning - Woodside School (Woodside Elementary SD)
- Panther Reading Program - San Mateo Park Elementary (San Mateo-Foster City SD)
- Portfolio and Senior Mastery Defense - Hillsdale High (San Mateo Union HSD)
- Restorative Practices and Restorative Justice - Hillview Middle (Menlo Park City SD)
- Sandpiper Robotics - Sandpiper (Belmont-Redwood Shores SD)
- Selby Lane Two Way Spanish Immersion Enrichment Program - Selby Lane Elementary (Redwood City SD)
- Student Leadership/Community Outreach Program - Fernando Rivera Intermediate (Jefferson Elementary SD)
- Teacher Leadership for Instructional Improvement (Belmont-Redwood Shores SD)
- Transitional Resources for Adult Community Education (TRACE) Program (Sequoia Union HSD)
- You Fair - Burlingame Intermediate (Burlingame Elementary SD)
- Writing in the End Zone - College of San Mateo (San Mateo County Community College District)
“Each year, it is our great honor to learn about the innovative programs happening in schools throughout San Mateo County,” said SMCSBA President Carrie Du Bois (Sequoia Union HSD). “The Kent Awards is just one small way to celebrate outstanding educators and share best practices throughout the county.”
The event will also honor this year’s winner of the annual Emily Garfield Preventive Counseling Award, Shelley Bustamante of Carlmont High School (Sequoia Union High School District). The Emily Garfield Award was established through a grant from Youth Empowering Systems to honor local education pioneer Emily Garfield to focus on successful alcohol and drug prevention programs as well as positive youth development and community wellness programs.
The Kent Awards ceremony will be held on Monday, May 22, at 6 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Foster City, California. For more information about SMCSBA or the Kent Awards presentation and banquet please visit smcsba.org.
About the San Mateo County School Boards Association
The San Mateo County School Boards Association represents the 22 school districts, the Community College District and County Office of Education in San Mateo County, California. SMCSBA supports the governance team — school board trustees, superintendents and senior administrative staff –through education on critical public education issues and networking opportunities for its members. SMCSBA is a chapter of the California School Boards Association and is involved in developing, communicating and advocating the perspective of California school districts and county offices of education.
For more information or to schedule a press briefing, please contact:
Carrie Du Bois
President, San Mateo County School Boards Association
Board President, Sequoia Union High School District