The goal of the SMCOE Teacher Induction Program is to support beginning teachers in becoming lifelong reflection practitioners. The program’s Individual Induction Learning Plan (IILP) is also a formative assessment system and the teacher determines areas of focus purely for his/her professional growth and is not used in the evaluation process at a school.
Responsibilities of a Participating Candidate:
- Complete the online Eligibility form.
- Attend one orientation session upon entrance into the program
- Attend 18 hours of professional development with two sessions offered by and held at the San Mateo County Office of Education
- Participate in an average of one hour per week of support from your Mentor and/or other Support Personnel
Complete an Individual Induction Learning Plan, which is also the Formative Assessment System, that includes:
- A vision document where you set goals within the first 60 days of the program
- Two Inquiry Cycles that include the following documents:
- A Focal Student Document
- Two Assess and/or Design Documents
- Reflection Documents
- Mentor Observation Document
- System of Support Document
- Participate in the program evaluation process.
- In addition, Education Specialist Candidates will participate in an observation of a Veteran Teacher facilitating an IEP (Individualized Education Program)
- In addition, Education Specialist Candidates will complete cycle work supporting the IEP process for students they case manage.
- Understand that information gathered regarding practice/performance is confidential. Information regarding completion may be shared with site/district/program administrators.
- Communicate questions or concerns about the SMCTIP, including concerns about your Mentor partnership, with the SMCTIP Consortium Administrator, the District Induction Liaison, and/or your Mentor (please refer to the Teacher Induction Electronic Handbook).
- Notify your Mentor and the SMCOE Teacher Induction Program should you leave the program before completion.