At a Glance
California has a unique opportunity to improve public education through the adoption of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) which are designed to increase expectations, make students globally competitive, go deeper into subjects and provide for a more active curriculum.
These research-based standards were developed through a state-led initiative to establish consistent and clear education standards for English-language arts and mathematics that would better prepare students for success in the competitive global economy.
The CCSS are designed to encourage the highest achievement of K-12 students by defining the knowledge, concepts, and skills students should acquire in each grade level.
The Common Core State Standards prepares all students for college and career. Success in college and career requires critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, and strong communication and technology skills. The CCSS will provide students with the opportunity to acquire these 21st century skills.
The San Mateo County Office of Education is committed to assisting districts with the implementation of the CCSS through professional development for administrators and teachers, coaching, system wide strategic planning, and curriculum support.
Common Core State Standards
Common Ground - Communication Resources
No. 1 - "How is learning different under the Common Core State Standards?" (week of April 13)
- What Makes a 21st Century Learner? - Spanish Version
- Nonfiction vs. Fiction - Spanish Version
- "A struggle worth having for students" - Washington Post - Spanish Version
No. 2 - "What are Smarter Balanced assessments?" (week of April 20)
No. 3 - "What should parents know about Smarter Balanced assessments?" (week of April 27)
- Student Test-Taking Tips
- Student Test-Taking Tips - Spanish Version
- Smarter Balanced Accommodations Fact Sheet
- Smarter Balanced Accommodations Fact Sheet - Spanish Version
- Pointers for Parents - Smarter Balanced
- Pointers for Parents - Smarter Balanced - Spanish Version
No. 4 - "What should students understand about their learning and real-world success?" (week of May 4)
- Skills for Success
- Skills for Success - Spanish Version
- CCSS and the Road to College Success
- CCSS and the Road to College Success - Spanish Version
- Lessons from Implementing the Common Core State Standards
- The CAASPP Umbrella
- The CAASPP Umbrella - Spanish Version
- Testing Tips for Teachers
- Infographic - How have teachers played a role in creating and administering the Smarter Balanced assessments?
- School/District Newsletter Article - Microsoft Word & PDF
- School/District Newsletter Article - Spanish Version - Microsoft Word & PDF
- Timeline for SBAC Score Reporting
- Developing a Clear Message about Smarter Balanced Results
No. 8 - "What do parents need to know about SBAC test results?" (week of June 1)
- Early Assessment Program (EAP) and CAASPP
- Student Score Report - English & Spanish
- CAASPP Score Ranges - ELA/Literacy & Mathematics
No. 9 - "How will you and your staff talk about SBAC results with your community?" (week of September 21)