At a Glance
Early Learning Support Services (ELSS) leads San Mateo County in developing and sustaining collaborative partnerships that support equitable, high quality education and care for children birth through grade 3 and their families.
Staff members in Early Learning Support Services (ELSS) manage a variety of projects that offer services and supports to families in San Mateo County with a focus on early care and education for children ages 0 – 8 years. Areas of focus include the following:
- State Preschool - High quality preschool for low-income children ages three to five years old
- AB 212 Teacher Stipend Program - Stipends for early childhood teachers who participate in professional development or who complete coursework
- Early Childhood Language Development Institute - Support for the home language and culture of young dual-language learners
- Child Care Partnership Council - Early childhood policy and planning to improve the system of care for children ages 0-5 and their families
- Early Learning Quality and Inclusion Partnership (EQ+IP) - Countywide, evidence-based early childhood professional development and on-site technical assistance; Supports for increased inclusion of children with special needs in high quality, early learning settings
Click here for ELSS 18-19 calendar of First 5-funded professional development offerings!
- The Quality Rating and Improvement System - ratings and continuous quality improvement supports for early learning programs
- Collaborative community partnerships - Partnerships with a variety of community stakeholders to improve the quality of early childhood programs countywide