Pay Rate: $15/hour
Dates: Approximately June 1st through August 1st, 2019
Hours: Monday- Friday, Hours 9 am - 5 pm
Location: 975 Island Dr, Redwood City, CA 94065
Description: Karius is a venture-backed life science startup focused on transforming the way infectious diseases are diagnosed. Combining Next-Generation Sequencing and proprietary data analysis, we can identify over 1,300 pathogens from a single blood sample with a typical turn around time in one business day.
Our student intern will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day operation of the Karius Research and Development laboratory as well as partner with our research scientists on evaluating synthetic control DNA for Karius sample QC and quantification. You will be working with a remarkable team of scientists who are eager to partner with you in accelerating the research that drives our world-class infectious disease research program.
This intern will work in the Molecular Biology department.
- Assist in the development and testing of new assays as appropriate
- Assist in the manufacturing of laboratory reagents and controls
- Perform inventory counts and routine re-ordering of laboratory consumables
- Use tracking and re-order system to ensure materials are always there when needed
- Clean and organize laboratory on a prescribed schedule
- Help manage equipment vendors (preventative maintenance, calibrations, emergency repairs)
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment
- Independent motivation with demonstrated initiative
- Experience working in a wet laboratory environment
Instructions to Apply:
1. To apply, click here.
2. Fill out your name and email to get started. Then click "Go to form."
3. You will then see the electronic form. Make sure you completely fill out all the mandatory fields in red. Any field in yellow is optional. For a guide to help you apply, click here.
4. Once you have added all the information on the application, click the big red "Submit form" button.
5. Next you will be prompted to type in your teacher's full name and email for a teacher recommendation. Double check that the teacher email is correct. Make sure to ask your teacher if they are willing to fill out a recommendation for you.
6. Click "Send to this recipient" to finish your application portion for the internship.
A notification email will be sent once you have successfully uploaded your application.
Please feel free to contact:
Dr. Vera Jacobson-Lundeberg, SMCOE CTE Director
Tina Smith, SMCOE CTE Coordinator