Support programs are available for current and former foster youth who want to achieve a college education. Programs vary by campus. Please refer to the resources section to find learn more and for contact information.
FYSI (Foster Youth Success Initiative): Every community college has a designated individual to assist foster youth with services. They are usually located in the Financial Aid or EOPS offices.
- Guardian Scholars – San Francisco State
- Renaissance Scholars – Cal State East Bay
- Connect, Motivate, Educate (CME) San Jose State
- UC Berkeley – Residential and Student Service Programs
- UC Davis – EOP Program
- UC Santa Cruz – Smith Renaissance Society
There are many online resources available to learn about how to successfully get to college. These are some that we have found to be useful and can assist with the process.
General College Planning Information
Foster Youth Specific College Information
California Community Colleges
California State Universities
University of California
Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- FAFSA: Federal Aid: www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Cal Grants: State Aid: www.calgrants.org
- Chafee Foster Youth Grant: https://www.chafee.csac.ca.gov
Foster Youth Scholarships
- www.fosteradream.org – “Dare to Dream” Academic Scholarships
- www.orphan.org – Orphan Foundation of America
Local Scholarship Information
Silicon Valley Community Foundation – Click on “Apply for a Scholarship”
Contact your Independent Living/Aftercare Programs for assistance.
San Mateo County ILP/Aftercare Program
Post Secondary Education Services (while in foster care)
Education Services (after foster care)
Aftercare Case Worker