- San Mateo County Office of Education
- San Mateo School District Foster Youth Liaisons
This is a list of FYS liaisons in every district across San Mateo county who can be contacted for support with your foster child regarding any educational issues.
- San Mateo School Districts Links
Assembly 490 Frequently Asked Questions: PDF
California Chafee Grant
This is a link for foster youth regarding grant money for college- up to $5000 per year.
California Department of Education Countywide Foster Youth Program Coordinators
California College Pathways
This site to help foster youth access higher education.
Granting and Transferring of Partial Course Credit Letter
Helping Your Child Succeed in School: PDF
An Education Handbook for Parents and Caregivers of Children and Youth in the Foster Care System created by Mental Health Advocacy Services.
Honoring Emancipated Youth
Honoring Emancipated Youth (HEY) is a San Francisco-based organization dedicated to strengthening and connecting San Francisco’s systems of support so that Bay Area youth emancipating, or “aging out” of the foster care system can enjoy a healthy transition to adulthood.
Partial Credit Calculator
Here is a tool provided by Sacramento FYS to calculate partial credits. Education Code 49069.5 (e) (g) requires that students who leave a school before the end of a term (i.e. semester, trimester) be granted all partial credits earned.
The McKinney-Vento Act includes foster youth awaiting placement in a foster or group home in the definition of homeless.
Foster Ed Connect www.fosteredconnect.org
This is our Statewide Foster Youth Services site, an excellent resource to help anyone working with individual foster children/youth succeed in school. This website is a MUST - once you go to the main page, you will register for FREE.
A bonus- once you are logged on to the Foster Ed Connect site, all the links below will become active.
You will find an extensive resource guide for information on all of the following:
Resources by Subject
- Behavioral Issues / Behavior Management Plans
- Helping Students Transition In and Out of the Classroom Mid-Semester
- Instructional Issues / Lesson Plans
- Campus Support Programs
- Career Development / Exploration
- Career Technical Education (Vocational Programs)
- Financial Aid
- Assessments and Early Intervention
- Bonding and Attachment
- Child Care
- Early Mental Health
- Infants and Toddlers
- Alternative Schooling (Continuation Schools, Charter Schools, etc.)
- Credits and Partial Credit Policies
- Extracurricular Activities
- Graduation Requirements
- School Enrollment and Stability
- Transfer of Transcripts
- AB 490
- Fostering Connections to Success
- McKinney-Vento Act
- Other Federal Legislation
- Other State Legislation
- Alternative Education During Expulsion
- Behavioral Intervention Plans (BIPs) and Functional Analysis Assessments (FAAs)
- Suspension and Expulsion
- 504 Plans
- Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
- Mental Health Services
- Placements (Special Day Schools, Non-Public Schools, etc.)
- Timelines and Procedural Protections
- Child Welfare System
- Delinquency System
- Dependency System
- Education System
- Mental Health System
- Regional Service Centers and Department of Developmental Services
Resources by Role
- Early Childhood Professionals
- Other School Staff
- Post Secondary / College Professionals
- School Counselors / Administrators
- Special Education Professionals
- Teachers / Educators
- Tutors and Mentors
- Child and Family Services, Education Liaisons
- County Office of Education, Foster Youth Services Staff
- District AB 490 Foster Youth Liaisons