Redwood City, CA - The San Mateo County Office of Education (SMCOE) is excited to announce it will be offering an online Career and Technical Education (CTE) Credential Program for San Mateo County teachers. The program, which will be delivered in partnership with the Orange County Department of Education, will allow credentialed teachers to learn new skills, enhance their work with students, and pursue a passion in a specific subject area.
The credential program combines online coursework and in-person support. Participants gain the knowledge, skills, and abilities to become effective, fully credentialed CTE instructors. The preliminary credential is valid for three years and authorizes the holder to teach in the subject – also known as industry sector – in middle and high schools and in related courses developed for adults.
Teachers can pursue a credential in one of 15 industry sectors, including:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Arts, Media, and Entertainment
- Building and Construction Trades
- Business and Finance
- Education, Child Development, and Family Services
- Energy, Environment, and Utilities
- Engineering and Architecture
- Fashion and Interior Design
- Health Science and Medical Technology
- Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation
- Information and Communication Technologies
- Manufacturing and Product Development
- Marketing Sales and Service
- Public Services
“The CTE credential program in San Mateo County represents the fulfillment of one of SMCOE’s goals. The program can be revitalizing for teachers as they have the opportunity to explore different content and share their passion and experience with youth,” explained San Mateo County Superintendent of Schools Nancy Magee.
CTE programs in schools give students the opportunity to learn about and explore different careers, develop skills necessary for success in the workplace, and plan their post-secondary education with purpose. SMCOE’s CTE Program supports San Mateo County school districts and makes important connections between industries in the county and schools.
The CTE credential course is currently available to San Mateo County teachers. For more information please contact:
- Vera Jacobson-Lundeberg, CTE Director, email@example.com
- Cheryl Agrawal, Administrator for Teacher and Administrator Development, firstname.lastname@example.org
An information session on the credential program will be held on Tuesday, September 17 from 4:00-5:30 p.m. at the San Mateo County Office of Education located at 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City. Register here.
The San Mateo County Office of Education is committed to ensuring excellence and equity in education by inspiring students, investing in teachers, invigorating leaders, and involving communities.