Department: CLIA Laboratory Operations
Position: Laboratory Associate - Intern
Status: Hourly (approximately 16-30 hours/week maximum)
Reports To: General Supervisor or assigned employees
Pay Range: $13-$15/hour (minimum wage established for Redwood City area)
Dates: Approximately April 1st through August 1st, 2020
Schedule: Day shifts primarily, but shifts and hours can vary (see below for time blocks available):
While high school is in session:
- Monday 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Tuesday 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Wednesday 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Thursday 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Friday 1:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Saturday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Sunday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
During Summer Months
- M-F 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Location: 2688 Middlefield Road, Suite A, Menlo Park, CA 94063
Telomere Diagnostic Inc. is a rapidly growing biotech start up located in Redwood City focusing on translating the insights of telomere biology into "state of the art" Molecular Diagnostic products to provide healthcare providers new tools to enhance patient care and prolong life.
Description: The Laboratory Associate-Intern works under close and constant supervision of the Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) when assisting with job duties directly related to sample handling and accessioning. The Laboratory Associate-Intern must be able to follow procedures and document the work according to the forms and worksheets approved for each procedure. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills so that important information related to TDx collection kits, testing and other laboratory processes are brought up to CLS personnel or laboratory management. With proper and documented training, the Laboratory Associate-Intern can also perform basic laboratory duties associated with the normal laboratory operations.
The following duties must be performed under general supervision and appropriate controls:
Preparing Specimen collection kits, kit components and other TDx products and assisting with shipment to customers (with general supervision and appropriate controls in place).
Preparing solutions/reagents according to lab procedures and needs.
Reviewing Report Data to assure correct information has transferred to automated Customer Portal program.
Aliquoting and labeling reagents for use in the clinical lab.
Routine maintenance of laboratory equipment including (pipettes, refrigerators, freezers, water baths, incubators, dead air boxes, and safety equipment).
Receiving materials, documenting lot information and staging material for testing.
Basic testing of raw materials to assure conformance to specifications.
Summarizing and presenting data using EXCEL and other statistical programs.
Writing and reviewing standard operating procedures.
Assisting with validation studies.
- Labeling and storing reagents properly.
- Performing inventory of chemicals and supplies; order and restock as required.
- Maintain lab organization and cleanliness.
- Follow safety procedures.
- Daily temperature monitoring/documentation of equipment and lab space.
- Perform other basic duties as assigned by TDx personnel.
- Lab experience a plus (especially pipetting processes).
- Strong attention to detail.
- Computer literate with a general understanding of Microsoft Word, EXCEL, Powerpoint and other software programs.
- General understanding of Biostatistical concepts such as Precision, Accuracy, Reproducibility, Linear Regression, Bias, Pearson's Coefficient and Y intercept analysis.
- Good record keeping skills.
- Able to learn tasks with general instruction and them perform them independently.
- Understand the purpose of the job and the general role within the laboratory.
- Able to communicate clearly (written and verbal).
- Able to manage time and perform tasks efficiently.
- Able to work in a team with good communication skills.
- To apply, click here.
- Fill out your name and email to get started. Then click "Go to form."
- You will then see the electronic form. Make sure you completely fill out all the mandatory fields in red. Any field in yellow is optional. Here is a guide to help you apply. Students should indicate which internships they are interested in at the top of the application under "specific internship name." List every internship of interest under one application (i.e. students may apply for 1, 2, 3 or more internships so long as they are all listed).
- Once you have added all the information on the application, click the big red "Submit form" button.
- Next you will be prompted to type in your teacher's full name and email for a teacher recommendation. Double check that the teacher email is correct. Make sure to ask your teacher if they are willing to fill out a recommendation for you.
- Click "Send to this recipient" to finish your application portion for the internship.
A notification email will be sent once you have successfully uploaded your application.
Please feel free to contact CTE Director Dr. Vera Jacobson.
Administrator, Career Technical Education (CTE)
Phone: (650) 802-5331
Coordinator, Career Technical Education (CTE)
Phone: (650) 802-5405
Coordinator, Career Technical Education (CTE)
Phone: (650) 802-5336
Phone: (650) 802-5481