Karius Biotechnology Internship
Pay Rate: $15/hour
Dates: Approximately June 1st through August 1st, 2020
Hours: Monday- Friday, Hours 9 am - 5 pm
Location: 975 Island Dr, Redwood City, CA 94065
Description: Karius is a venture-backed life science startup focused on transforming the way infectious diseases are diagnosed. Combining Next-Generation Sequencing and proprietary data analysis, we can identify over 1,300 pathogens from a single blood sample with a typical turn around time in one business day.
Our student intern will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day operation of the Karius Research and Development laboratory as well as partner with our research scientists on evaluating synthetic control DNA for Karius sample QC and quantification. You will be working with a remarkable team of scientists who are eager to partner with you in accelerating the research that drives our world-class infectious disease research program.
This intern will work in the Molecular Biology department.
- Assist in the development and testing of new assays as appropriate
- Assist in the manufacturing of laboratory reagents and controls
- Perform inventory counts and routine re-ordering of laboratory consumables
- Use tracking and re-order system to ensure materials are always there when needed
- Clean and organize laboratory on a prescribed schedule
- Help manage equipment vendors (preventative maintenance, calibrations, emergency repairs)
Exceptional attention to detail
Ability to work effectively within a team environment
Independent motivation with demonstrated initiative
Experience working in a wet laboratory environment
Reg Life Sciences Internship
Pay Rate: $15/hour
Dates: Any time from June to August
Hours: at least 20 hours a week
Location: REG Life Sciences, 600 Gateway Blvd., South San Francisco, CA 94080
Description: REG Life Sciences offers a 4-8 week paid summer internships for a high school student. The student intern is placed in the metabolic engineering group and will learn basic Molecular & Synthetic Biology skills. The Student will have the opportunity to experience the business & operations of a SF Bay Area Biotechnology Company.
Seeking a student that:
- is truly interested in Science
- has basic knowledge of Molecular Biology
- is willing to work hard and learn.
- is motivated
SciBac Biotechnology Internship
Pay Rate: $16/hour, 32 hours/week, 8 weeks
Dates: 8 weeks from Monday, June 8th through Friday, August 7th, 2020
Hours: No more than 32 hours per week on a flexible basis
Location: 1828 El Camino Real, Suite 704, Burlingame, CA 94010
Description: Job responsibilities will include working on a microbiology project in the area of molecular biology, microbial cell culture, or tissue culture field along with media prep, randomly assigned tasks. The intern will be responsible for cleaning up after themselves as well as generally keeping the lab clean and tidy. Interns will be expected to present their data bi-weekly to the company. The candidate must work in a Biosafety Level 2 lab and be okay with exposure to opportunistic pathogens (all safety precautions will be followed). The intern must be a self-starter and able to work somewhat independently. We want someone who is passionate about the microbiome and microbiology field who wants to experience what a research assistant position in a start-up lab is like.
Desired intern skills:
- Be a self-starter
- Be able to work independently
- Is passionate about the microbiology field
- Sterile technique
- Microbial cell culture
- Glycerol stocking strains
Telomere Diagnostics Internship
Department: CLIA Laboratory Operations
Position: Laboratory Associate - Intern
Status: Hourly (approximately 16 hours/week)
Pay Rate: $12-$14/hour
Dates: Approximately April 1st through August 1st, 2020
Hours: Day shifts primarily, but shifts and hours can vary (see below for time blocks available):
- Wednesday 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Thursday 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Friday 1:00 pm to 6:30 pm
- Saturday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
- Sunday 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Location: 2688 Middlefield Road, Suite A, Redwood City CA 94063
Description: Telomere Diagnostic Inc. is a rapidly growing biotech start up located in Menlo Park focusing on translating the insights of telomere biology into state of the art Molecular Diagnostic products to provide healthcare providers new tools to enhance patient care and prolong life. We are seeking exceptional people who enjoy a collaborative, challenging yet rewarding team focused environment.
The Laboratory Associate-Intern works under close and constant supervision of the Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) when assisting with job duties related to sample handling and accessioning. The Laboratory Associate-Intern must be able to follow procedures and document the work according to the forms and worksheets approved for each procedure. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills so that important information related to TDx collection kits, testing and other laboratory processes are brought up to CLS personnel or laboratory management. With proper and documented training, the Laboratory Associate-Intern can also perform basic laboratory duties associated with the normal laboratory operations as long as the documentation generated is reviewed and signed off on by a laboratory supervisor.
Preparing Specimen collection kits, kit components and other TDx products and assisting with shipment to customers (with general supervision and appropriate controls in place).
Preparing solutions/reagents according to lab procedures and needs.
Reviewing Report Data to assure correct information has transferred to automated Customer Portal program.
Quoting and labeling reagents for use in the clinical lab.
Routine maintenance of laboratory equipment including pipettes, refrigerators, freezers, water baths, incubators, dead air boxes, and safety equipment.
Receiving materials, documenting lot information and staging material for testing.
Basic testing of raw materials to assure conformance to specifications.
Summarizing and presenting data using EXCEL and other statistical programs.
Writing and reviewing standard operating procedures.
Assisting with validation studies.
Preparing and autoclaving laboratory plasticware.
- Labeling and storing reagents properly.
- Performing inventory of chemicals and supplies; order and restock as required.
- Maintain lab organization and cleanliness.
- Follow safety procedures.
- Daily temperature monitoring/documentation of equipment and lab space.
- Perform other basic duties as assigned by TDx personnel.
- Lab experience needed.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Computer literate with a general understanding of Microsoft Word, EXCEL, Powerpoint and other software programs.
- General understanding of Biostatistical concepts such as linear regression, Bias, Pearson's Coefficient and Y-intercept analysis.
- Good record keeping skills.
- Able to learn tasks with general instruction and them perform them independently.
- Understand the purpose of the job and the general role within the laboratory.
- Able to communicate clearly (written and verbal)
- Able to manage time and perform tasks efficiently.
- Able to work in a team with good communication skills.
- Able to drive to and from the lab facility in Menlo Park.
- To apply, click here.
- Fill out your name and email to get started. Then click "Go to form."
- You will then see the electronic form. Make sure you completely fill out all the mandatory fields in red. Any field in yellow is optional. Here is a guide to help you apply. Students should indicate which internships they are interested in at the top of the application under "specific internship name." List every internship of interest under one application (i.e. students may apply for 1, 2, 3 or more internships so long as they are all listed).
- Once you have added all the information on the application, click the big red "Submit form" button.
- Next you will be prompted to type in your teacher's full name and email for a teacher recommendation. Double check that the teacher email is correct. Make sure to ask your teacher if they are willing to fill out a recommendation for you.
- Click "Send to this recipient" to finish your application portion for the internship.
A notification email will be sent once you have successfully uploaded your application.