Updated April 17, 2020
Effective immediately through June 30, 2020, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has approved a request from the California Department of Education to allow program operators in good standing to serve meals during unanticipated school closures as a result of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). Updates, including new requirements, resources, and answers to frequently asked questions, are regularly posted to the California Department of Education webpage.
- School Meal Locations: Second Harvest Silicon Valley manages a Google Document that lists school food locations in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties. Please check the document regularly for updates.
- Emergency Food Information: If anyone is in need of food, they should call the Second Harvest Food Bank's Food Connection Hotline (in any language) at 800-984-3663 to get connected to a nearby distribution.
- Farmers Markets: Several farmer's markets remain open and most accept EBT. The Pacific Coast Farmers' Markets maintains a list of open markets throughout the Bay Area, including a list of San Mateo locations.
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Policy Memorandums
The USDA released several Policy Memorandums with questions and answers intended to provide clarification to state agencies and Child Nutrition Programs (CNP) operators during the novel coronavirus public health emergency:
- SP 11-2020, CACFP 06-2020, and SFSP 05-2020: Questions and Answers related to the CNP Monitoring and Reporting Nationwide Waivers, released on April 9, 2020.
- SP 13-2020, CACFP 07-2020, SFSP 06-2020: Child Nutrition Program Nationwide Waivers: Questions and Answers, released April 11, 2020.
- SP 14-2020: Child Nutrition Program Meal Service during Novel Coronavirus Outbreaks: Questions and Answers #3, released on April 11, 2020.
Nutrition Waiver Requirements and Distribution Methods
For more information, please contact your Nutrition Services Division program specialist by email using the staff directory titled Caseload, found in the Child Nutrition Information and Payment System Download Forms.
CA Meals for Kids App
The CDE CA Meals for Kids mobile app has been updated to help students and families find meals during COVID-19-related emergency school closures. The information that populates the meals sites data is generated from the CDE's Child Nutrition Information and Payment System (CNIPS). All school districts are encouraged to enter the information for their sites in the CNIPS site application. The app is available for free download through Apple’s App Store, Google’s Play Store, and Microsoft’s App Store web pages.
- USDA Newsroom: Provides information on the UDSA COVID-19 non-congregate feeding waiver for schools
- State of California-Heath and Human Services Agency: Provides information on School Guidance on Novel Coronavirus or COVID-19
- Readiness and Emergency Management: Provides information on the dissemination for schools for emergencies
- Food and Nutrition Service Disaster Assistance: Provides information on USDA Disaster Assistance
Phone: (650) 802-5515