Updated March 20, 2020
Talking to Children About COVID-19
Your child may have a lot of questions about COVID-19. Below are two slideshows to help positively engage and teach your child about COVID-19.
Current COVID-19 Information
Residents with non-emergency or non-medical questions about the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) can call 2-1-1, which is available 24/7 in multiple languages. Call your physician with medical questions. Below are links to current, up-to-date information regarding the novel coronavirus:
- Residents can call one of the eight Core Service Agencies located throughout the county for basic emergency and support services. A list of the Core Service Agencies is available here. Please note that due to social distancing, people should call the agency first – do not go in person. These agencies are moving most/all services to phone for the protection of both clients and staff.
- Core Service Agency Informational Flyer ( English and Spanish ) ( Chinese ) ( Tagalog ) ( Tongan )
- San Mateo County Emergency Operations Center
- San Mateo County Health - Novel Coronavirus Updates and Resources (in English, Spanish and Chinese)
- California Department of Public Health - New Coronavirus: What You Need to Know
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- Get Your Household Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019
- How to Wash Your Hands (Must log in or create a free New York Times account to access)
- San Mateo County Health Video: Symptoms and When to Seek Medical Care (uploaded March 9, 2020)
- San Mateo County Health Video: Protecting the Public (uploaded March 9, 2020)
The virus causes respiratory illness, with symptoms including fever, fatigue, cough, and shortness of breath. Some people may have flu, pneumonia, or more serious illness. More information can be found on the CDC's website.
How COVID-19 Spreads
Given concerns some may have about the spread of COVID-19 after an alert was posted at a gymnasium in South San Francisco and a private school closed after a staff member was in contact with a person who had the disease, we thought it was important to remind people how COVID-19 spreads. This information is from the CDC and is available in Spanish and Chinese on the CDC's site.
Phone: (650) 802-5515