The County Board of Education is comprised of seven members who are elected to four-year terms. Each member is a registered voter in the Trustee Area they represent and is elected by the registered voters of that particular trustee area. The Board elects a president and a vice president at its annual organizational meeting in December. A quorum of four members is required to conduct regular business. Learn more through the links below:
Board Meeting Time and Place
Board meetings are held on the first and third Wednesdays of the month at 7:00 p.m. Exceptions include the months of January, July, August, and December when there is typically one meeting per month. Please see the schedule for specific meeting dates for this school year. Regular meetings of the Board are held at the San Mateo County Office of Education, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065 for those who wish to attend in person, or members of the public may choose to attend remotely over Zoom. Board meeting format may change depending on local health conditions; please check specific agendas for the most updated information. Any exceptions to the regular schedule are announced through the SMCOE website, posted at the San Mateo County Office of Education building, and posted at the Downtown Redwood City Library. Please click here for Board meeting information.
- Approves policies, regulations, and curriculum for the schools and educational programs operated by the County Office of Education
- Approves the annual budget of the County Office of Education and sets the County Superintendent of Schools' salary
- Receives an annual audit of the County Office of Education's budget
- Serves as an appeals board for the adjudication of expulsion appeals, interdistrict attendance appeals, and charter schools
- Advocates on behalf of education on the county, state, and national level
- Informs local communities about the programs and achievements of the County Office of Education
Members of the Board of Education also participate in ad hoc or long-standing Subcommittees that address the Board's responsibilities and priorities.
Resources for Board of Education Members
Executive Assistant to the San Mateo County Board of Education
Phone: (650) 802-5552