The County Board of Education is comprised of seven members who are elected to a four-year term. Each member is a registered voter in the Trustee area they represent. The Board elects a president and a vice president at its annual organizational meeting in December. A quorum of four members is required to conduct regular business.
Board Meeting Time and Place
Regular meetings of the Board are held at 7 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of the month at the San Mateo County Office of Education, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065. Any exceptions to the regular schedule are announced through the SMCOE website, posted at the County Office of Education building, and posted in the Redwood Shores Branch library.
To communicate with the Board, contact Jennifer Perna at (650) 802-5552 or email@example.com.
- Approves policies, regulations, and curriculum for the schools and educational programs operated by the County Office of Education
- Approves the annual budget of the County Office of Education and sets the County Superintendent of Schools' salary
- Receives an annual audit of the County Office of Education's budget
- Serves as the governing board for the Regional Occupational Program/Career Technical Education
- Serves as an appeal board for the adjudication of expulsion appeals, interdistrict attendance appeals, and charter schools
- Advocates on behalf of education on the county, state, and national level
- Informs local communities about the programs and achievements of the County Office of Education
Members of the Board of Education also participate in ad hoc or long-standing subcommittees that address the Board's responsibilities and priorities.
Executive Assistant to the Board
Phone: (650) 802-5552