After two years of navigating through a pandemic, schools and districts have become adept at providing safe learning opportunities for their students. This page provides resources to help school administrators, staff, families, and community members keep schools open and safe for in-person learning.
Read a letter from Superintendent Nancy Magee detailing the newest COVID-19 and School Health Updates (published on November 10, 2022).
Read the Spanish version of the COVID-19 and School Health Updates.
California Guidance for Schools
COVID-19 Safe Schools Framework
The COVID-19 Safe Schools Framework replaces the Pandemic Recovery Framework, which guided the safe reopening and operation of public and private schools during the COVID-19 pandemic. This document was developed in consultation with San Mateo County Health (SMCH) and reflects California Department of Public Health (CDPH) guidance and other relevant guidance for schools and districts.
California Department of Public Health Guidance
- Guidance for K-12 Schools (updated June 30, 2022)
- Guidance for Child Care Providers and Programs (updated March 12, 2022)
- Safe Schools for All Hub: California's one-stop shop for information about safe in-person instruction and how to minimize in-school transmission.
- COVID-19 Testing for Schools and Students: Find up-to-date resources on testing in districts and schools as well as at home.
- Ventilation FAQs: Smoke Days and COVID-19 (updated September 28, 2021): The risk of getting COVID-19 is much greater in indoor settings with poor air quality. Learn how to maintain effective ventilation and filtration even when air quality is poor.
- Vaccine Fact Sheets: Scroll to the bottom to find multilingual fact sheets on COVID-19 vaccines, boosters, and additional doses.
COVID-19 Vaccines in San Mateo County
Are you up-to-date on your vaccine?
COVID-19 vaccination is one of the most important tools we have to protect ourselves and our loved ones against experiencing life-threatening side effects from COVID-19.
- San Mateo County Health: San Mateo County Health provides information on local health data and updates, frequently asked questions, testing options, and other resources. It also provides information on COVID-19 vaccines and how residents can determine their eligibility for boosters.
- San Mateo County 2-1-1: Residents with non-emergency or non-medical questions about COVID-19 can call 2-1-1, which is available 24/7 in multiple languages and connects residents to food, housing, transportation, and other resources.
- 4C's San Mateo County: Find a list of programs providing early learning and child care as well as up-to-date information on COVID-19 vaccines for children aged five and younger.
- First 5 San Mateo County: First 5 San Mateo County compiles resources for parents and caregivers on how to get vaccines and provide trauma-informed care.
- California Department of Public Health: Find guidance documents, state data, and other COVID-19 resources from the California Department of Public Health.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): The CDC provides a wide range of information about COVID-19, including symptoms, how to protect yourself, and what to do if you are sick.
Phone: (650) 802-5515