The San Mateo County Office of Education (SMCOE) supports staff development in Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) in accordance with state mandates to address student needs. Support services are provided at the school-, district-, and county-wide levels through workshops, seminars, conferences, projects, and institutes. SMCOE also offers less formal support by providing information to teachers and administrators, initiating collaborations and assisting parents, and sharing resources. It works with arts and education partners to create equity and access to high-quality arts and arts-integrated education for students, preschool through high school, in the areas of dance, music, theater, visual, and media arts.
Art Takes a Bus Ride Competition
The San Mateo County Office of Education partners each year with the San Mateo County Transit District to coordinate the Art Takes a Bus Ride art competition for San Mateo County students in grades one through 12. The 2020 theme will be announced at a later date.
- Student work will be judged against others in the same grade. (Note: For fairness, artwork must be created by students only.)
- Artwork is to be created on 9 inches high x 12 inches wide white paper in a horizontal orientation to fit on the scanner used for making the wrap. No exceptions – submissions not meeting these requirements will not be considered.
- Media can be tempera and/or acrylic paint, crayon, felt pen, colored pencil, pastel, watercolor, collage (paper and/or cloth) and mixed media. The use of bold, rich color is encouraged! To view the artwork of previous winners, visit www.samtrans.com/artbus. The student's name, grade, school, and teacher must be on the back of the artwork to be considered.
- All artwork must be accompanied by a release form. Please have the form signed by parent or guardian for all students participating in the competition (make as many copies as you need).
- All entries must be delivered FLAT (not rolled or folded) to the San Mateo County Office of Education, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065. The deadline will be announced at a later date.
- All entries are judged on creativity, artistic merit and interpretation of the theme. All decisions are final. Winners will be notified by e-mail and from their school.
- One winner will be selected from each grade (a total of six winners). The six winners will be recognized at a SamTrans Board of Directors meeting and a San Mateo Board of Education meeting.
Coordinator, Visual and Performing Arts
Phone: (650) 802-5335