The HSE (High School Equivalency) tests provide adults who did not complete a formal high school program the opportunity to certify their attainment of high school-level academic knowledge and skills. 

SMCOE does not offer HSE testing services to the public. To locate an HSE testing center in your area, to schedule your HSE exams, or to learn more about the test and how to prepare for it, visit the California Department of Education website.

About the Test

In California, persons who are 18 years of age or older may take the HSE test. Some 17-year-olds who meet specific criteria for testing may also take the test. 

The HSE exams are offered in both English and Spanish. Test takers can take each section of the exam 3 times per year.

In the Spring of 2014, the California Department of Education approved two new alternate HSE exams for test-takers in California. There are now three HSE exams to choose from including HiSET, TASC, and GED.

The alternate HSE tests are available in both paper/pencil and computer-based formats. The GED exam is offered in computer format only.

If you began GED testing prior to 2014 and did not pass all of the required content area, you must begin testing all over again with one of the HSE exams.

GED Transcript/Records Requests

If you received your GED certificate in San Mateo County after July 1, 1990, and wish to request a copy of your records, please visit the GED Testing Service webpage.

If you received your GED certificate in San Mateo County prior to July 1, 1990, and wish to request a copy for your records, please fax the following information to the HSE/GED office at (650) 802-5503.

  • Your name at the time of testing
  • Your date of birth
  • Where and when you took the GED exams (approximate date and location are OK)
  • How many copies of your certificate you need
  • Where to send your certificates
  • If you require an official copy (signed and sealed)
  • Your signature

You should be contacted within 7 business days regarding your record. If we are unable to locate your record at our facility, we will direct you to another facility that may have your records. You may also send a signed request by attachment to

Katia Sturtevant

Administrative Assistant


Phone: (650) 802-5481