Technology, used thoughtfully, can be a powerful enabler of learning. The San Mateo County Office of Education (SMCOE) provides information on programs and resources related to the enlightened, effective use of technology to support learning and student achievement. Services include technology-related consultation, professional learning design and facilitation, SMEdCenter Portal (digital learning resources), technology planning support, technology standards, and District Technology Collaborators (DTC - countywide IT and EdTech leadership group) group facilitation
Tech Tuesdays, originally Maker Mondays, is a drop-in event every Tuesday from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. where educators and non-educators can explore SMCOE's Makerspace and learn new programs, activities, and tools. Join the Tech Tuesdays mailing list to learn about upcoming events.
SMEdCenter Web Portal
The SMEdCenter Web Portal is a repository of digital content (including streaming video) and learning resources, selected to enhance student learning, improve instruction, and support student achievement. It is provided to San Mateo County school districts via a partnership between the San Mateo County Office of Education and the Contra Costa County Office of Education. This section provides a range of information about the portal, including the content and services it offers, subscription info, and more.
- Engage students with dynamic material
- Find standards-aligned learning resources
- Organize classroom lessons and resources
- Remember only one password (single sign-on)
- Access content from anywhere
- Enjoy low subscription rates through our consortium licensing
The SMEdCenter Portal is offered on an annual subscription basis. The subscription period for the 2019-20 school year is now open. Please subscribe by August 23, 2019. The subscription period will close on August 30, 2019. Subscriptions can be obtained at the district or individual site levels and include 24-hour access to resources for teachers, staff, and students.
- Review the Basic Portal Service Packages (required)
- Contact us to request a copy of the Portal Rate Sheet.
- Decide which basic portal service package (required) and optional add-on services to which your site/district wishes to subscribe.*
- Place your portal subscription order online using this SMEdCenter Portal Subscription Renewal/Order Form. (Please ensure that only an authorized site/district contact places the order.)
- Once we have received a district/site order, we will create and send subscribing sites/district (within 30 days) a SMEdCenter Portal Services Agreement (contract) for review, signatures and return.
- Subscribing sites/districts review, sign and return the Portal Services Agreement within 30 days of receipt.
- Once the signed Portal Services Agreement is returned, we'll update (renewals) or create (new subscriptions) the district/site portal instance with all ordered services, and provide all needed information so that teachers, students, and staff can log on!
*The total cost for services will be based on the Service Package selected and the cost of selected add-on services. (Wherever average daily attendance [ADA] is used to calculate costs, ADA figures are based on 2018-2019 enrollment data as reported in Data Quest).
- Portal subscription renewal notices sent to currently subscribing sites and districts
- Portal subscription opportunities marketed to potentially new subscribing sites and districts
August 23, 2019
- Portal subscription orders DUE from renewing districts (to avoid any interruption to subscription services)
- Portal subscription orders RECOMMENDED to be submitted by new schools or districts
August 30, 2019
- Portal subscription period CLOSES
- Review the Basic Portal Service Packages (required)
Subscriptions to the SMEdCenter Portal include a Basic Portal Service Package (SP) containing one of three available video streaming services: Discovery Education Streaming (Bundle 1), Learn360 Streaming(Bundle 2), or BrainPop Combo (Bundle 3). Each of these video services offers thousands of videos for all grade levels and curricula. High School Districts have an alternate service bundling. Please contact us for further information.
- Bundle1: Learn360 Streaming: A collection of over 7,800 core-curriculum videos correlated to the Common Core State Standards. Learn360 also includes access to still images, audio files, support materials and more.
- Bundle2: Discovery Education Streaming: A growing library of over 9,500 videos, 77,000 content-specific clips, and more than 160,00 multimedia assets aligned to the Common Core State Standards.
- Bundle3: BrainPOP Combo: Includes BrainPop, BrainPop Jr, BrainPOP Español, and Français.
All Basic Portal Service Package (Bundle1, Bundle2, and Bundle3) also include the following:
- World Book eBooks (for Elementary): Over 2,500 titles, including World Book exclusive content and classic literature (novels, plays, poems, and nonfiction).
- Infobase eBooks (for Middle/High): More than 4,600 acclaimed eBooks from the award-winning Facts On File, Chelsea House, Ferguson’s, and Bloom’s imprints. Easy to use and correlated to all major educational standards.
- The World Almanac /World Almanac for Kids: Almanac-style information reference.
Additional Free Portal Resources
Either Basic Portal Service Package also includes numerous high-quality free resources. Below is a sampling of some of these:
- Khan Academy - a not-for-profit with the goal of changing education for the better by providing a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere
- Thinkfinity - standards-based lessons, activities, and resources for math, language arts, science, art, and history
- Calisphere - primary documents and images from the UC digital collections
- NASA - resources, interactives, and lesson plans for science
- Library of Congress - primary documents, interactives and lesson plans for US history
- Textbook Connections - links to state board approved textbook resources
- Peninsula Library Resources - links to selected databases (library card needed for access)
Districts/sites have the option to add other services from the list below to your subscription. Please note there are several new offerings for this coming school year.
BrainPOP Combo: Animated, curricular content that engages students, supports educators, and bolsters achievement. BrainPOP movies illustrate Math, English, Science, Health, Technology and Social Studies concepts for K-12 users. Combo includes BrainPOP, BrainPOP Jr.® (K-3), and BrainPOP Español™ & Francais
BrainPOP ELL: BrainPOP ELL is a comprehensive English language learning program that uses highly engaging animated movies to model conversational English while seamlessly introducing grammar concepts and vocabulary words.
Discovery Education Streaming: Available to Bundle1 Learn360 Streaming Basic Portal Service Package subscribers who wish to add this additional streaming service.
Learn360 Streaming: Available to Bundle2 Discovery Education Streaming Basic Portal Service Package subscribers who wish to add this additional streaming service.
World Book Differentiated (Children's Differentiated for K-5, excerpted description from World Book website): With thousands of articles, multimedia content, and a collection of biographies, World Book Kids is designed to encourage the young learner to be curious. The carefully curated content also supports STEM/STEAM instructional initiatives.
PebbleGo: PebbleGo features expertly-leveled text and navigation specifically designed for your beginning researchers. Enriched with spoken-word audio, text highlighting and audio and video clips, PebbleGo builds a foundation of research skills for every learner. Includes PebbleGo Animals, PebbleGo Science, PebbleGo Biographies, and PebbleGo Social Studies.
Flocabulary: Flocabulary is a learning program for all grades that uses educational hip-hop music to engage students and increase achievement across the curriculum. Teachers can use Flocabulary’s standards-based videos, instructional activities and student creativity tools to supplement instruction and develop core literacy skills. *Pricing Not Yet Available*
Nearpod: Nearpod is an interactive student engagement platform where you turn your existing resources (ppt, pdf) and pre-made content into transformational learning experiences. In real-time, you’ll receive comprehensive student assessment data. *Pricing Not Yet Available*
World Book Differentiated (Student Differentiated for 6-8; Advanced Differentiated for 9-12, excerpted description from World Book website): Thousands of articles and multimedia aligned to curriculum. Contains numerous tools to engage users in 21st-century education and blended-learning practices. World Book Student features responsive design, daily current events, assessment tools for educators, and dedicated resource guides to provide blueprints for advanced learning and college and career readiness.
Classroom Video Master Collection (only for Learn360 subscribers): Includes streaming video collections, eBooks, eLearning modules, and the following databases:
American History & Ancient & Medieval History: Spans more than 500 years of political, military, social, and cultural history to cover the American experience. Presents the full scope of world history from prehistory through the 1500s, with special topic centers on key civilizations and regions.
Science Online: The award-winning Science Online offers a comprehensive, curriculum-oriented overview of a broad range of scientific disciplines in a variety of useful formats (extensive essays, videos, diagrams, definitions, biographies, and experiments). The accessible content is organized by subject area and type of resource, as well as by Common Core, state, national, and national STEM standards.
Bloom's Literature (excerpted description from Infobase Learning website): Bloom's Literature, formerly Bloom's Literary Reference Online, offers a comprehensive resource for the study of literature, with curated content from authoritative sources. The wide range of material in this award-winning database includes content from Facts On File's extensive literature collection; hundreds of Harold Bloom's essays examining the lives and works of great writers; thousands of critical articles published by noted scholars under the Bloom's Literary Criticism imprint; extensive entries on literary topics, themes, movements, genres, and authors; more than 4,300 video clips; more than 2,700 full-text poems; and more than 9,000 discussion questions on a range of literary topics. A Performance Video gateway page provides easy access to all full-length videos of classic productions-which can be watched either in their entirety or scene by scene using the convenient clips."
Issues and Controversies (excerpted description from Infobase Learning website): Featuring a dynamic design and a wealth of features, Issues & Controversies helps researchers understand today's crucial issues by exploring hundreds of hot topics in politics, government, business, society, education, and popular culture. Our Issue and Article pages make it simple to see all of the available content in one place; thousands of editorials and opinions from renowned newspaper sources via NewsEdge keep researchers on top of trending topics; and our enhanced navigation and search results and improved organization and taxonomy give users an intuitive and user-friendly research experience. Updated weekly, with an extensive backfile, Issues & Controversies offers in-depth articles-each presenting both sides of an issue clearly, coherently, and without bias-made to inspire thought-provoking debates. Its straightforward presentation of the key facts, arguments, history, and current context of today's most important and timely issues makes the database an ideal resource for research papers, debate preparation, and persuasive writing assignments. The articles are written by our own expert writers and editors, and each article includes a full range of supporting materials.
Today's Science (excerpted description from Infobase Learning website): Today’s Science bridges the gap between the science taught in class and real-world discoveries—giving in-depth explanations of important advances in biology, chemistry, environmental science, space, physics, and technology. Featured articles offer easy access to related content such as crossword puzzles, cartoons, and questions; additional articles that help place news and discoveries in context; and interviews with scientists that bring the research to life. An extensive backfile dating back to 1992 illustrates how one scientific advance leads to another; the stories focus on the questions scientists ask themselves and, in doing so, reinforce science educators’ traditional emphasis on the scientific method. This essential STEM resource shows how the scientific method can be applied to everyday life, helping users think like scientists—applied science in a nutshell.
Through our partnership with the Contra Costa County Office of Education, access to the SMEdCenter Portal and subscriptions to its various services is very cost-effective. Due to agreements negotiated with vendors, portal subscription rates cannot be published publicly via our web site. Pricing information is available upon request to site and district contacts in San Mateo County. Please contact us to request a rate sheet.
Please note that pricing is the same whether for a site-level or district-level subscription but pricing for some services may vary for different grade-level bands (i.e. elementary- and unified-level pricing or high school-level pricing).
Have a rate, contract, or billing question? Have further questions about portal content or subscriptions? Having an issue using the portal? Feel free to connect with your questions!
For New Account Inquiries, Demos, Content Support, or Professional Development
Sandra Velásquez, Innovative Learning & Technology Integration Coordinator
email@example.com or (650) 802-5407
For Rate Sheet Requests, Contract and Billing Inquiries
Ellen Arenas, Administrative Assistant
firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 802-5332
For Portal User Support via email or phone
(650) 802-KIDS (5437)
Portal Support is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
SMCOE can provide a portal "demo" account for district staff to explore SMEdCenter Portal. Simply email us at email@example.com to request the login and password to the demo account. Please enter "Portal Demo Access Request" in the subject line, tell us your name, role, and district/site, and we'll email you the demo credentials. Then simply return to the Portal Login page of this site to log in.
Please Note: This demo account is for temporary, previewing purposes only. It does not constitute a user license. While using the demo account to preview the portal, do not download any files for use.
This demo account contains essentially all the potential fee-based services available via the portal for demonstration purposes. Your district/site instance of the portal will include only those services ordered/contracted for. This demo account also includes all the free resources provided with any portal subscription.