The San Mateo County Office of Education’s Center for Access and Engagement is a team of professionals that works with school districts to nurture, cultivate, promote, and expand equitable and inclusive practices.
About the Center
The Center’s work is built on California’s Statewide Task Force on Special Education’s 2015 report One System: Reforming Education to Serve ALL Students, which envisions one coherent system where general and special education teachers work together seamlessly to identify and address all students’ academic and social-emotional strengths and needs.
Why Create the Center?
Students with disabilities can face significant barriers to school success, leading to lower academic outcomes, higher suspension rates and chronic absenteeism, and reduced graduation rates compared to other student groups.
By collaborating across general and special education classrooms, educators can effectively identify students’ needs and deliver an appropriate, rigorous, standards-based curriculum to support all students, engaging families as an integral part of their efforts.
How Can the Center Help?
The Center for Access and Engagement provides training to educators and parent groups throughout San Mateo County which can be individualized according to their specific needs. The Center also provides advisory, technical assistance, and coaching at the site and district administrative levels to support schools in their commitment to improve student outcomes.
Training and Services
The Center for Access and Engagement provides a variety of individualized training, implementation support, inclusive student leadership support, program consultation, and certification series. Email email@example.com for consultation, to discuss training topics and needs, or to schedule a needs assessment.
Below is an overview of the Center's training and services; the course catalog will be updated and expanded throughout the year.
- Individualized Training: Includes district-wide training or targeted training for staff and parent education.
- Implementation Support: Covers follow-up training and coaching as well as regionalized communities of practice.
- Inclusive Student Leadership: Consists of peer conflict management, community building, and anti-bullying education
- Program Consultation: Includes needs assessment, program expansion, and multi-year, long-range planning.
- Certification Series: Comprises of certification in Safety-Care, behavior management, autism, ADHD, and inclusion.
Executive Director, Special Education and Instruction
Phone: (650) 802-5629
Coordinator, Special Education and Instruction
Phone: (650) 802-5461
Program Specialist, Special Education and Instruction
Phone: (650) 802-5346
Phone: (650) 802-5632