Updated May 11, 2021
The San Mateo County Office of Education has launched a new section of its website to support administrators, educators, and families in transitioning to at-home/distance learning. Visit the sections below to find resources, tips, and guidance or continue reading this page for the latest updates.
Current COVID-19 Information
Under the State of California's Blueprint for a Safer Economy, San Mateo County is in the Minimal (Yellow) tier, which means that some non-essential indoor business operations are closed.
Residents with non-emergency or non-medical questions about the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) can call 2-1-1, which is available 24/7 in multiple languages. Call your physician with medical questions. For current, up-to-date information regarding the novel coronavirus, see:
- Blueprint for a Safer Economy: Find the latest data (updated weekly) and industry guidance for San Mateo County.
- San Mateo County Joint Information Center: The County's Joint Information Center provides timely, accurate, and consistent information to the public during an emergency.
- Testing in San Mateo County: Learn about who should get tested for COVID-19 and where you can go in San Mateo County. The page also includes frequently asked questions about testing.
- San Mateo County Health: San Mateo County Health provides information on Health Officer updates, resources for schools, local health data and updates, frequently asked questions, and other resources.
- California Department of Public Health: Find guidance documents, state data, and other COVID-19 Resources from the California Department of Public Health.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): The CDC provides a wide range of information about COVID-19, including symptoms, how to protect yourself, and what to do if you are sick.
- Pandemic Recovery Framework for Schools: The San Mateo County Pandemic Recovery Framework for Schools provides school leaders with the health, education, and legal guidance needed to develop local plans for a safe return to on-campus instruction.
Safe Schools for All Hub
The Safe Schools for All Hub is California's one-stop shop for information about safe in-person instruction and how to minimize in-school transmission. The hub includes information on the latest guidance on key safety and mitigation measures, including testing, providing protective equipment, contact tracing, and vaccinations; funding reopening efforts; providing oversight and assistance in implementing reopening plans; and maintaining transparency and accountability.
View an archived list of local and state updates related to COVID-19 from the 2019-2020 school year.
The U.S. Department of Education, State of California, San Mateo County Health, and the San Mateo County Office of Education are continuously releasing guidance to help child care centers, preschools, schools, districts, and other local education agencies continue providing quality instruction and services through the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more about funding and attendance, meals and nutritional services, special education, technology, and assessment.
Resources for Educators
The San Mateo County Office of Education has pulled together resources and guidance to help you provide quality distance instruction. We share guidance from the State, materials we have created or curated to help you plan and deliver high-quality distance education, tips, best practices, and information to help you take care of yourself and support your students' mental health needs.
In June, Governor Newsom released updated guidance for child care and early learning programs to reopen for nonessential families. Our website compiles the latest guidance and resources for child development administrators and early childhood educators. The following resources and more can be found on SMCOE's COVID-19 Early Learning page.
The San Mateo County Office of Education has pulled together resources to help your family transition to at-home/distance learning. The following resources and more can be found on SMCOE's COVID-19 For Families page.
- Coping with Stress During Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- Get Your Household Ready for Coronavirus Disease 2019
- How to Wash Your Hands (Must log in or create a free New York Times account to access)
- San Mateo County Health Video: Symptoms and When to Seek Medical Care (uploaded March 9, 2020)
- San Mateo County Health Video: Protecting the Public (uploaded March 9, 2020)
Phone: (650) 802-5515